Before getting started, ensure the following conditions are met:
- Keep your SmartThings hub at least three feet away from your router. Higher Tier support from SmartThings informed us that the ZigBee module can receive interference from the router. SmartThings recommends for the hub to be three feet away from your router.
- Please ensure that "Insecure Rejoin" is enabled. To do this, open the SmartThings app and select your hub. "Secure mode" should be in the off position.
- The Sengled Element line of bulbs cannot be used on dimmer switches. This would include wall dimmers, ceiling fan fixtures and 3-way lamps (lamps with low, medium and high power settings built-in). Furthermore, the Sengled Element bulbs are not meant to be used in fully enclosed fixtures. Additionally, the Sengled Element bulbs are not meant to be used outdoors. With that said, here are the exceptions: the Element Plus bulbs can be used on certain wall dimmers; for more information about this, please visit the following link: https://support.sengled.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003534408-Compatible-Dimmers. Also, the Sengled Element PAR38 bulbs are meant to be used outdoors.
In the SmartThings app, Insecure Rejoin is disabled by default. To enable it:
- Open the SmartThings app
- Tap “Devices”
- Tap on your SmartThings hub
- Turn “Security mode” off to ensure that if the Element bulbs or SmartThings hub lose power, the bulbs can rejoin without issue.
Below is a picture of what the SmartThings app’s icon looks like:
Ensure your Element bulbs are powered on from a non-dimmer switch.
1. Open the SmartThings app and press the “+” sign on the main page.
Then, press “Add device”.
2. Scroll down until you see “Sengled” and tap on it.
You can, of course, press “Auto detect”. We recommend selecting “Sengled” as it makes organizing your bulbs easier.
3. If you are adding any of the compatible Sengled Element bulbs, press “Light bulb”.
From here, select the hub to which you wish to add bulbs. In this case, we have one SmartThings hub so we press “Next”.
4. From here, we must choose the room to which we want to add our Sengled Element bulbs. When you are adding bulbs in the SmartThings app, you would want to do it one room at a time to better organize the bulbs.
Since we do not see the room in the SmartThings app where we will utilize these bulbs, we press “Add new room”.
In the provided example, we choose “Living room” and pressed “Next”.
5. After the room is named and edited to your liking, press “Save”.
From here, the room will be selected. Press “Next” to proceed.
6. The SmartThings hub will search for the Element bulbs. The two below screens are what happens during this search.
The first screen explains how to reset the various Element bulbs. If the bulbs do not add, reset them. Do not reset bulbs that are working as intended.
As the leftward screen indicates, the three Element bulbs were found. In this demonstration, we used one Element Classic bulb, one Element Plus bulb, and one Element Color Plus bulb.
Once all of your bulbs are discovered, press “Done”.
7. Now, we will be redirected to the main page. From here, you can interact with the bulbs.